Schwerinsburg, Windhoek, Namibia
During the time of the construction of Alte Feste in 1890 the tower of Schwerinsburg was built by Curt von François, commissioner of German South-West Africa. In 1904 Schutztruppe sold it to architect Wilhelm Sander who converted it into a beer garden and named it Sperlingslust.
In 1913 Hans Bogislav Graf von Schwerin, governor of the Gobabis District of German South-West Africa, bought Sperlingslust from Sander and engaged him to convert it into a castle. It was later named Schwerinsburg after the new owner.
Epic Namibia Culture & Adventure Route © Monika Newbound