Claire Coutinho was appointed Secretary of State for Energy Security and Net Zero on 31 August 2023. She was previously Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Education from 26 October 2022 to 30 August 2023.
She was previously Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Work and Pensions from 21 September to 27 October 2022. Clare was elected Conservative MP for East Surrey on 12 December 2019.
Securing our long-term energy supply, bringing down bills and halving inflation.
For 2023, our priorities will be:
1. Ensure the security of the energy supply this winter, next winter and in the longer term – bringing down energy bills and reducing inflation.
2. Ensure the UK is on track to meet its legally binding Net Zero commitments and support economic growth by significantly speeding up the delivery of network infrastructure and domestic energy production.
3. Improve the energy efficiency of UK homes, businesses and public sector buildings to meet the 15% demand reduction ambition.
4. Deliver current schemes to support energy consumers with their bills and develop options for long-term reform to improve how the electricity market works for families and businesses.
5. Seize the economic benefits of Net Zero, including the jobs and growth created through investment in new green industries.
6. Pass the Energy Bill to support the emerging CCUS and hydrogen sectors; to update the governance of the energy system; and reduce the time taken to consent offshore wind.
Who we are
The Department for Energy Security and Net Zero (DESNZ) is focused on the energy portfolio from the former Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).