The Theater of Paris: two venues in the heart of Paris in the 9th arrondissement, an ambitious and prestigious program, and, of course, the greatest artists. In the Trinité district, in 1730, the Duke of Richelieu, a fulfilled hedonist, had a place of celebration built in what was then just a vast wooded plain. At the location of the Théâtre de Paris stood an isolated pavilion, the history of which tells that it was secretly frequented by Louis XV and the Marquise de Pompadour, the King’s favorite. In the 19th century, the place had the uniqueness of being successively: an amusement park, a church, and even a “roller” skating rink during the Belle Époque!
It wasn’t until 1891 that the “Nouveau Théâtre” took its place, revealing to the Parisian public, thanks to the audacity of its director, the actor Lugne-Poe, Nordic authors such as Henrik Ibsen. It is also worth mentioning that it was in this venue, in 1896, that actor Firmin Gémier launched his famous “Merde!” during the premiere of Alfred Jarry’s Ubu Roi. Later, Réjane became the owner of the venue, renamed “Théâtre Réjane,” where the great tragedienne continued her triumph with Madame Sans-Gêne.
Between 1906 and 1917, Théâtre Réjane was the setting for the greatest successes in Paris.