Igreja Nossa Senhora do Carmo, Vitória, State of Espirito Santo, Brazil

The Convent of Our Lady of Monte do Carmo was founded in 1682 by Carmelite priests. The complex was formed by the convent itself, by the Church of Our Lady of Monte do Carmo and by the Chapel of the Third Order.

All of them had colonial style, with baroque lines.Two centuries later, the Convent of the Carmo was in decadence.

Due to the prohibition of religious novitiates for the formation of priests, the Convent was completely abandoned in 1872. The building was then taken over by the government, being used in various functions, including military barracks.

Only after the creation in 1895 of the bishopric of the Holy Spirit did the government return the Convent for the administration of the Catholic Church.

The first bishop of the State, Dom João Batista Correa Nery, occupied the building with the Diocesan Athenaeum, a college that was later transferred to the Convent of Penha, and with the College of Our Lady Help of Christians, which lasted until the 1970s.

Visit Brazil. Epic Brazil Adventure Route © All Rights Reserved | Monika & Simon Newbound 2017

building Own or work here? Claim Now! Claim Now!