Alexandra Gardens is located south of Princes Bridge and east of St Kilda Road, with Alexandra Avenue at the southern border. This area beside the Yarra River, Birrarung, was part of a network of swamps and lagoons linked to course of the river. From 1896, under the guidance of engineer Carlo Catani, a new channel to straighten the river was created and the swamps and lagoons were filled with spoil from the channel works. The gardens were then created and completed in time for a Royal visit by the Duke of York in May 1901. The gardens are named after Alexandra of Denmark, the wife of King Edward VII. Notable features are the line of rowing boathouses facing the river and Riverslide Skate Park, the only supervised skate park in Melbourne. The gardens’ palms, ornamental shrubs, rockeries and tree-lined avenues and lawns make this a delightful place to go for a walk, and provide a setting for a wide variety of major events throughout the year.