Wielka Krokiew Ski Jumping Hill, Zakopane, Małopolska Voivodeship, Poland
Sports Center – Olympic Training Center in Zakopane has a unique location with exceptional facilities and geographical and historical circumstances. Both the location of the Center, and the development plans of Zakopane in the twenties of the twentieth century, nominate Sports Center to the role of a follower of the concept of the Sports Park in 1923. Sports park was created as a result of the Zakopane spa status.
Every spa in Poland have an obligation to develop the so-called. regulation plan, involving the ordering of spatial policy of the city and determine the undeveloped area, intended for recreation and sport. The area of Kuźnice Bogówkę through the Great Krokiew was covered in 1923 by engineer Karola Stryjeńskiego new project development as tourist-sports park, which has been incorporated into the regulation plan of Zakopane. In this project, we placed the following facilities: sports fields, swimming pools, tennis courts, amphitheater, skating rink for the game of “hockey” and the ski jump. In order to achieve these goals, the company established “Sports Park” and launched these investments.
Society “Sports Park” was founded in Zakopane, and the initiating group were activists of the oldest ski club in the country SN PTT-1907, such as: Karol Stryjeński, Władysław Ziętkiewicz, Józef Oppenheim, Ignacy Bujak, Kazimierz Schiele. One of its directors was the architect Karol Stryjeński, author of the plan of adjustment of Zakopane on behalf of the Ministry of Public Works. In this area they arose – next to the existing bobsleigh track and playing fields – the first ski jump in Jaworzynka. The next object was realized by the company on the ski jump United Krokiew, built in 1926 yet. Many of the designed by the “Sports Park” project survived to today, acting in one of the main parts of the complex COS OPO in Zakopane.
The beginning of the institution from which derives Sports Center is the first months of 1947, was created when the Sports Training Center “, subject to the Regional Office PWiWF in Krakow, in the villa” doll “in Zakopane, street Chałubińskiego. The resort only trained skiers, and led him Julian Zubek.
In 1949, the Central Committee of Physical Culture called “Sports Training Center”, which was located in Zakopane, in a rented guest house “Imperial” Street Oswald Balzer. Center report directly to the Ministry of Sport. Starting from 1955. By the end of 1969., Subject to the State Enterprise Center of Sports Events, which later was renamed Sports Events Company.
Chairman of the management of the Central Committee of Physical Culture and Tourism no. 84 of 2 December 1969. The center was renamed on 1 January 1970. On “Sports Center, Tourism and Recreation,” at the same time expanding the scope of activities of tourism and leisure. Under the name COSTiW Center run until 30 April 1975. When the decree no. 28 Chairman GKKFiT was renamed the Center for the “Sports Center”. At the same time tourism was introduced as part of the Center’s activities.
The first director of the COS in Zakopane was Roman Wagner, and – since 1953 – director Jerzy Ustupski, under whose leadership there has been significant development of the Center. In 1949, the Center had no sports facilities, tennis courts, only falling behind Internat sports “Imperial”. In 1954. It was built the so-called upper football field with athletics track, which was adapted for the winter season on the track skating.
In 1955. He was put on Nosal slalom slope. Only in 1967. General contractor Mostostal built a railway line, and on the slope of modernization works were performed. In May of 1958. Was started the construction of boarding sportowyu “Zakopane”, which was completed before the World Championships FIS, ie. In December 1961. Building the sports hall was put into operation at the end of 1962. At that time there was a general reconstruction of the hill on the Great rafters with the construction of the funicular railway, stands, judges tower and pavilion. This investment was made according to the design of the Krakow Industrial Construction Project Office, with substantial contributions architect Stanisława Karpiela work.
In February, 1962. They held the World Ski Championships in Zakopane. From this year begins the construction of sports complex in team sports fields, according to the design team of architects appointed by the Krakow University of Technology. In 1967. It puts into operation the lower the pitch of the running track, asphalt pitch, pavilion room weights, track speed skating naturally frozen and a network of roads and paths.
Before the first Spartakiada friendly Army in 1961. And the World Championships in 1962. Toporowa determined in the area of cross-country skiing Cyrhla 2×5 km, which modernized twice in 1970 and 1978. With the help of the army. The army also came with the help of the work related to the adaptation of the ski slopes of Kasprowy 1970 and 1978. And the reconstruction of the Great Krokiew in 1978-1979.
An important and valuable part of the architectural and natural heritage has become a wasteland afforestation on land belonging to the Tatra National Park (an area of about 2 hectares). In the years 1966-1969, ie. The establishment of the Center for Sport, Tourism and Leisure, worked at the State Enterprise Sports Events (later PIS), Olympic Training Center, led by Marian Woyna-Orlewicz. In 1971. It was put into operation judo hall. In 1973. It began to modernize Medium Krokiew. In 1974. Began to expand Internat sports “Imperial”, which was completed in 1980.
On November 12, 1974., Under an agreement between the Tatra National Park and COS TiW-I, the Center took over the operation of the winter, along with maintenance and adaptation summer and winter ski slopes in the area of Kasprowy Wierch, including the network of downhill ski slopes in the area, as well as ski trails in the Valley Chochołowska. This agreement imposes serious obligations on the Center to ensure safe use of these facilities, both the professional sport and mass skiing. Liability assumed under the agreement entailed the need to modernize the ski slopes (leveling serious work), in order to prepare them for the mechanical maintenance with the help of special machines. A separate agreement between the PTTK and COSTiW I-Center took over the maintenance of the winter ski Gubałówka. Built in 1974. Kotelnica ski lifts and Galicowa Grapa, were passed in 1975. To the city of Zakopane.
In 1978. He began the construction of an indoor swimming pool with two swimming pools and a part of the wellness and hydrotherapy. Swimming pool has been modernized in 1984. And also undergone modernization in recent years.
In 1979. It was completed construction of the 2.5 km route nartorolkowej. A year later, was put into operation room inventory, 1979. Profile was rebuilt on the Great Krokiew ski jump. In 1978. It started the reconstruction of the Great Krokiew profile, which was completed in 1983.
In connection with the granting to Zakopane organization of competitions in the World Cup, and later the Grand Prix in ski jumping, COS, Zakopane began a thorough modernization of the Great Krokiew carried out in stages. And so: in 2001. Judge built a new tower in 2003. Lighting installed throughout the ski jump platform and built a new home in 2004. Put plastic covering and partially renovated grandstand. Then they modernized platform built coaching and locker room facilities for championship-winning teams. Completed the project on the Great Krokiew is putting into operation of modern railway krzesełkowłkowiej, which not only exports jumpers, but also tourists and pavilion at the Great Krokiew. In January of 2013. Was opened completely modernized Internat Sports “in Zakopane.”
Visit Poland. Epic Poland Adventure Route © All Rights Reserved | Monika & Simon Newbound 2017