White Tower of Thessaloniki, Greece
The White Tower was built in the 15th century. After the conquest of Thessaloniki by the Turks in 1430. In its place was older Tower of Thessaloniki Byzantine fortifications, the point where the wall met the east wall of the sea. The tower was the eastern end of the sea wall, there was another one at the west end and the third in between.
Over time refers variously Tower of Leo in the 16th century and Tower squid 18th ai. the 19th century. we find two names, depending on the use that was Tower of the Janissaries, and Tower of Blood (Kanli Kule), when it became a prison and place of execution convicts.
After the liberation of the city in 1912 and the integration of the Greek state, the tower had various uses. During the First World War one floor was used for storage of antiquities from excavations made by the archaeological department of the Army of the East. On the premises of entertained the air defense of the city, meteorology laboratory of the Aristotle University Marine Scout Association and systems. In 1983 the tower was given to the Ministry of Culture.
Visit Greece. Epic Greece Adventure Route © Monika Newbound