Town Hall, Calais, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France
The town hall of Calais was built in 1885 on the merging of the cities of Calais and Saint-Pierre, on a barren piece of land at between the two cities. It was designed in the neo-Flemish style of the 15th century, by the architect Louis Debrouwer.Work started in 1911 but was interrupted by the outbreak of war in 1914. Repair of war damage and the completion of the building delayed its inauguration until 1925. It was again damaged in 1940. The belfry 75 metres high, contains one of the most beautiful chimes in the north of France.
Rodin’s statue the Burghers of Calais stands outside.
Visit France. Epic France Adventure Route © Monika Newbound