The resort “Staraya Russa”, Staraya Russa, Novgorod Oblast, Russia
The resort “Staraya Russa” has been functioning since 1828. It arose on the site of natural unloading of pressurized highly mineralized waters. These waters have been used since ancient times for the purpose of salt preparation (one of the existing wells, No. 4, dates back to 1370).
When salt was extracted, their medicinal properties were also noticed. The first scientific study of old Russian mineral waters was made in 1815 by Dr. F. P. Haas, who proved their undoubted properties. In 1828, the medical laborer G. Rauch conducted his studies of mineral waters and also received data on their medicinal properties. His report was approved, and it was decided to establish a medical institution for the lower ranks of the Russian army. In the middle of the XIX century, the resort “Starorusskie Mineral Waters” among other six large resorts was in the public domain. The high effectiveness of the treatment was also attracted to the upper strata of society, famous figures of literature, art, members of the royal family.
After the October Revolution, the resort resumed its work in 1919. Since 1925, the Starorussky resort was the first in the country to move to year-round work. By 1941, the resort reaches its maximum development and has 1100 beds. During the Great Patriotic War, the city and the resort were destroyed to the ground. After the liberation of the city in December 1946, the first 50 patients were admitted. By the beginning of the 1970s, its restoration was completed. Capacity of the resort reached 1250 beds. The medical base was improved and developed, new medical diagnostic methods were introduced. As a result, the effectiveness of treatment of patients over 96% was achieved. In 1971, by decree of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR, the Starorussky Resort received the status of “Resort of Republican Significance”. In March 1994
Epic Russia Culture & Adventure Route © Monika Newbound