Teufelsbrucke, Devils Bridge, Göschenen, Switzerland
The first devil bridge from the 13th century, which was also used by the Russian General Suvorov, was destroyed in 1888 in a stormy night by the high-lying Reuss. At that time, however, stood the second devil’s bridge. It lies a few meters below today’s two-lane third devil bridge. This was built in 1958.
The myth about the origin of the Devil’s Bridge as early as the 13th century, the Urners had repeatedly tried to strike a bridge over the wild Reuss, but too often, the mules were thrown into the depths with their mules and goods. It is the legend that the Urner always puzzled over how the Schöllenen Gorge was to be overcome. Finally, a Landamman exclaimed with great despair: “Do sell the Tyfel e brigg bue” “Let the devil himself build a bridge!” No sooner had he spoken before the Urner population. The Devil promised them a pact: the bridge would continue. But the devil told the people he was going to build a bridge, but the first soul that crossed the new bridge was to belong to him. After entering into this trade there was soon a new strong bridge over the ravine. But the Urner did not know who to send, until a clever farmer had a brilliant idea. He untied his goat and chased the goat on the other side. Furious with rage, the devil took a boulder and threatened to destroy his work. Then an old woman came along the path and carved a cross in the stone. When the devil saw this, he missed his goal, and the rock landed near Goshen.
The Devil’s Stone has been lying there for centuries. The bridge has been called the Devil’s Bridge since that time. With the conquest of the Schöllenen gorge around 1200 by the so – called Teufelsbrücke opened in the 13th century. Century the gate to the south. Suddenly the closed valley becomes the most important passport and transit country for trade traffic.
Visit Switzerland. Epic Switzerland Adventure Route © Monika Newbound