St Pierre Cathedral, Genève, Switzerland
St. Peter’s Cathedral, or Saint Pierre Cathedral is over 850 years old Geneva’s main church, famous for Jan Kalvin preaching here. St. Peter’s Cathedral is located in the center of Geneva’s Old Town, slightly on the hill overseeing the city, combining various architectural styles from Gothic to Ancient, as it was being rebuilt over the centuries. Since 16th century Cathedral belongs the Reformed Church.
North and South Towers are available for visitors vith outstanding views over Geneva. Cathedral also hosts numerous concerts, there is an archaeological site and Maccabean Caple located here and open for the public.
History: Interior of St. Peters Cathedral St. Peter’s Cathedral was build between years 1160 – 1252, on the place where previously used to stand basilica from the 6th century. Cathedral was rebuilded several times, last reconstructions took place in 18th century. In 1397, the Chapelle des Macchabées was added to the original building and in 1752 the portico was added to the western facade. Interiors of the Cathedral were vastly demolished in 1535, when Geneva’s residents accepted the Reformation and destroyed all the altars inside the cathedral, all the statues and most of the paintings in a rage. Luckily the Pulpit and some paintings at the tops of the pillars were preserved.
Visit Switzerland. Epic Switzerland Adventure Route © Monika Newbound