St. Maria Kirche

St. Maria is the oldest of the three congregations of the entire church community of Stuttgart-Süd.

On the 12th In November 1879, after eight years of construction, the church was consecrated by the then bishop Dr. Carl Joseph von Hefele in the presence of King Karl. It is thus the first Catholic church in Stuttgart after the Reformation, because the Eberhardskirche – the original Protestant court church – was initially on the Solitude and was rebuilt in Königstraße and consecrated in 1811. After the number of Catholics had risen from 140 (in 1807) to over 14,000 (in 1880), the Mariankirche, built in the neo-Gothic style, became home to many who have since moved to Stuttgart for a variety of reasons. The actual name of the church “Mariä Visitation” is reminiscent of the encounter of Mary with Elisabeth and is the symbol and program of the church at the same time – in the encounter of God with the people, in the encounter of people among themselves, not only within the actual community, but beyond: the Eritrean – Ethiopian community gathers in the community center St. Paul, there has been a partnership with the congregation of St. Joseph & Mary in Nairobi / Kenya for a long time and for a year the Philippine community has also been a guest in St. Maria.

History

The Marienkirche was built in 1871-1879, as the first Catholic church in Stuttgart after the Reformation, according to plans of the “Royal Court Builder” Joseph Egle. On the 12th In November 1879, it was founded by the then Rottenburg Bishop Carl Josef v. Hefele dedicated to the patrocinium “Mariä Heimsuchung”. The name of the church is reminiscent of Mary’s encounter with Elisabeth. The church was built as a massive stone-sight sandstone building. Models were the Trier Liebfrauenkirche and the Marburg Elisabethenkirche, which stand in contrast to the French cathedral algorithm. The three-nave hall church with crossbar and three choirs is 54 m long and 33 m wide. The front is flanked by two powerful towers that protrude almost 60m into the Stuttgart sky. The church is not geosted, the choir points to the southwest. In the 2nd World War II, the church was destroyed, the vault collapsed, only the towers stopped.
With great sacrifices, the church was rebuilt after the war. The vault has been replaced by a wooden ceiling. Christmas 1949 was celebrated for the first time in the church again.
A new organ was built in 1954, 1964 and most recently in 2001/2002 (more about the organ on the church music page). In 1960, the church also received a seven-part ringing from the company Kurz, which was then located in the territory of the community, which previously accompanied the Eucharistic Congress in Munich. The stained glass windows in the choir (1960) and in the ship (1970) as well as the Way of the Cross (1963) are by Otto Habel, who belonged to the community. From the original Way of the Cross of the Beuron School, only the image of the crowning of thorns above the side door in the right nave is left. The church houses several Gothic works of art on loan from the Württembergisches Landesmuseum: the crucifixion group in the choir, the crucifix in the sacrament chapel, the Madonna with child between St. Katharina and St. Barbara in the left choir.

Show all timings
  • Saturday10:00 - 16:00
  • Sunday10:00 - 16:00
  • Tuesday10:00 - 16:00
  • Wednesday10:00 - 16:00
  • Thursday10:00 - 16:00
  • Friday10:00 - 16:00
building Own or work here? Claim Now! Claim Now!
image