San Francisco Cultural Center, João Pessoa, State of Paraiba, Brazil

The Convent of St. Anthony was built in 1589 by the Franciscan friars. In 1634, it was occupied by invading Dutch troops, who used it as a fort.

After the expulsion of the Dutch, the friars resumed the convent and began their works of recovery and expansion. In the first half of the 18th century, by the golden chapel, the house of prayer, the cloister, the Fountain and the Sacristy. From that time on, the tiles panels of Nave and the high-mor. The external appearance is of the second half of that century, when they were concluded, the frentaria, the bell tower and the cruise.

In the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, the convent undergoes major transformations that culminate in the irrecoverable destruction of the High Priest. The Franciscan friars remained in this place for three centuries evangelizing the people of Paraíba. From 1885 to 1894, The school of seamen apprentices and the military hospital operated in the convent.

Created the Diocese of Paraíba, in 1892, and with the possession of D. Adaucto Aurélio de Miranda Henriques, in 1894, the Seminary and the Diocesan College were installed in the convent. The college operated until 1906, and the Seminary, until 1964.

After that date, the complex functioned as the State Museum of Paraíba, the Roger State School and the Piollin Theater School.
In the government of Tarcisio de Miranda Burity, in 1979, the convent closed the doors to begin the works of restoration.

Patrimony of the Archdiocese of Paraíba, São Francisco Cultural Center is a cultural institution. Created on March 6, 1990, maintained by agreement term that involves five other institutions: the State of Paraíba, João Pessoa Municipality, Federal University of Paraíba, Institute of National Historical and Artistic Heritage – IPHAN and the Secular Franciscan Order.

Visit Brazil. Epic Brazil Adventure Route © All Rights Reserved | Monika & Simon Newbound 2017

building Own or work here? Claim Now! Claim Now!