Real Sociedad Hípica Española Club de Campo

The current RSHECC began its new journey in the 1980s. However, its history is long and dates back to the beginning of the last century. It is the consequence of the merger of two Clubs; the “Royal Equestrian Society” and the “Club de Campo Sports Society”.

In 1901, on 64-hectare land in Monte del Pardo, known as “El Plantío de los Infantes”, the Spanish Equestrian Society was established under the presidency of the Duke of Uceda. Its headquarters are established in the area now occupied by the Nuevos Ministerios, and the title of “Royal” is requested, a privilege granted by HM King Alfonso XIII in 1909. As of that date, the name is changed to Royal Equestrian Society. The society is founded by renowned Madrid families and cavalry soldiers, with the aim of promoting sports related to horse riding. Little remains from this period, except for a painting that is kept in the game room of the current clubhouse under the legend “Marqués de Martorell, founding secretary of the Royal Spanish Equestrian Society, 1902-1921.

On the other hand, and in 1930, the “Sociedad Deportiva Club de Campo” was established, which is based on land leased to Patrimonio and located on land near “La Zarzuela” in a location partly on what the Club occupies today. of Campo Villa de Madrid. The lease agreement is signed between the Count of Aybar, General Intendant of the Royal Household and Heritage on behalf of the Crown Heritage, and Álvaro de Aguilar, on behalf of the Club de Campo Sports Society.

The ABC newspaper published an article on October 23, 1931 in which it echoed the inauguration of the Country Club, making reference to the chalet designed by the architect Gutiérrez Soto as well as the Club facilities that included tennis courts and a golf course. hockey. In 1932 a small golf course was opened that had 9 holes and, in the same year, the Club participated in the founding of the Spanish Golf Federation.

The Country Club is increasing its activity and popularity, so that in 1936, at the beginning of the Civil War, it already had more than 2,000 members. However, the war activities around the Casa de Campo result in an almost total destruction of the Club’s facilities.

When, after the war, reconstruction was carried out, the land changed in part and settled definitively on what is now the area occupied by the Club de Campo Villa de Madrid. The Ministry of Agriculture takes a part of them (where the ruins of the old chalet are located as well as twelve tennis courts, the field hockey field and three golf holes) and, in return, manages the transfer with the Madrid City Council of other terrains that complete the surface that is known today.

Rate us and Write a Review

Your Rating for this listing


Your review is recommended to be at least 140 characters long


Show all timings
  • Monday09:00 - 17:00
  • Tuesday09:00 - 17:00
  • Wednesday09:00 - 17:00
  • Thursday09:00 - 17:00
  • Friday09:00 - 17:00
building Own or work here? Claim Now! Claim Now!