Queen’s Gardens, Nelson 7010, Nelson Region, New Zealand
Queens Gardens is a beautiful example of a classical Victorian ornamental park. Centrally located information panels placed around the garden reveal its history. The gardens are part of a designated Historic Places Trust precinct.
Queens Gardens formally opened in 1892 to celebrate the Jubilee of Queen Victoria. It was designed around the residual part of the Maitai River called the Eel Pond – a food gathering place for the Maori.
The first European settlers used the land where the Gardens now exist as a meat market (abattoir) until the 1880s. In 1887 the area was dedicated the ‘Queens Gardens’ and the following year a competition was held for its design. Mr Antequil Somerville won the competition and began design work right away. In the early 20th century, the Memorial Gates and the Boer War Memorial were added.
The Gardens are inspired by an intimate, Victorian garden. They reflect the growth and development of the city. Visitors will find a diverse plant and Notable Tree collection and also a place for social and civic gatherings, public relaxation and enjoyment.
The Queens Gardens are registered as a historic place with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.
Epic New Zealand Culture & Adventure Route © Monika Newbound