Pont Valentré, Cahors, Midi-Pyrenees, France
Pont Valentré is the most famous monument and one not to be missed during a visit to Cahors , a medieval city in the south of France.
In 1306, the consuls of the city of Cahors decided to build a bridge at a place called “Valandre”, on the western part of the meander of Cahors. Two other bridges existed then in Cahors: the Vieux bridge in the South and the Neuf bridge in the East.
The first stone of the new work of art is solemnly laid in 1308 by the First Consul Geraud de Sabanac. The site will last nearly 70 years , giving birth to the legend that the devil would have helped the architect. In 1345 it is possible to circulate on the apron, the three towers probably being completed only around 1380, in spite of the crises of the Hundred Years War.
Visit France. Epic French Culture & Adventure Route © All Rights Reserved | Monika & Simon Newbound 2018