Plaza Mayor, Salamanca, Spain
The Plaza Mayor (English Main Plaza) in Salamanca, Spain is a large plaza located in the center of Salamanca, used as a public square. It was built in the traditional Spanish baroque style and is a popular gathering area. It is lined by restaurants, ice cream parlors, tourist shops, jewelry stores. Construction of the plaza began in 1729 and was completed in 1755. Felipe the V ordered the construction of the plaza to be used for bullfighting and was designed by the Churriguera family in sandstone.