This graceful square was laid out by Jules Hardouin-Mansart, one of the leading architects of the “Grand Siècle” under King Louis XIV. Originally, the square was called Place Louis le Grand. The facades of the houses were built between 1686 and 1701. The original intention was that the royal academies, the Mint, the Royal Library, and a hotel for foreign envoys would be installed in the square, but due to financial difficulties, the King was forced to sell the buildings to nobles and wealthy citizens. The new owners built gorgeous mansions with courtyards and gardens.