Pech Merle, Cabrerets, Midi-Pyrenees, France
In 1934, Father Amédée Lemozi, priest of Cabrerets, archaeologist and prehistorian warned, founded a museum of prehistory from his personal collections.Housed in a house in the village of Cabrerets, it shows a large room converted into a museum.
This museum is developing thanks to the help of two patrons: Jean Lebaudy and Mademoiselle de Gouvion Saint-Cyr.The museum is then installed in the rooms of Château Gontaud-Biron, owned by Jean Lebaudy. In 1964, Jean Lebaudy sold the castle and donated the collections of the Museum of Prehistory to the town of Cabrerets.
The municipality agrees to build a building to expose these collections to the public.In 1981, the new museum, built on the site of Pech Merle a few meters from the cave, is open.It takes the name of: Amédée Lemozi Museum.
Visit France. Epic French Culture & Adventure Route © All Rights Reserved | Monika & Simon Newbound 2018