Pantheon, building in Paris, was inaugurated in 1757 by the architect Jacques-Germain Soufflot as the Church of St. Genevieve to replace a much older church on the same site. It was secularized during the French revolution and dedicated to the memory of the Frenchmen, receiving the name Pantheon. Its design exemplified the Neoclassical return to a strictly logical use of classical architectural elements.
The Pantheon is a cruciform building with a high dome over the crossing and lower saucer-shaped domes (covered by a sloping roof) over the four arms. The facade, like that of the Roman Pantheon, is formed by a porch of Corinthian columns and triangular pediments attached to the ends of the eastern arm.