Old Town Hall, München, Germany
The Old Town Hall, until 1874 the domicile of the municipality, serves today as a building for representative purposes for the city council in Munich. The Old Town Hall bounds the central square Marienplatz on its east side are two town halls at Marienplatz. The Old Town Hall closes the Marienplatz to the east and today houses the Toy Museum. Because of its simple façade, many consider it to be more modern than the richly ornate Neo-Gothic style New Town Hall. In fact, the history of the old town hall dates back to the 14th century.
The Old Town Hall developed partly from the old Leonin city fortification of Munich. This was followed by the town hall construction of 1310. At that time, the Talburgtor was transformed into a 56-meter-high Rathausturm. From 1392 to 1394, a large hall complimented the building. In 1460, however, the building ensemble was hit by lightning and burnt down. Thus it came about that the Munich architect Jörg von Halspach, also known as Ganghofer, from 1470 on the design of a late-Gothic town hall.
Visit Germany. Epic German Adventure route © Monika Newbound