Novokuznetsk Drama Theater, Novokuznetsk, Kemerovskaya oblast’, Russia
The history of the Novokuznetsk Drama Theater has more than eight decades, and each stage is marked by the courage to overcome it. First, the courage of birth in the dramatic 1930s, then the struggle for the right to be called a dramatic theater, the problems of formation in the pre-war years, the creative survival of the war years, the postwar reconstruction, the flowering of the 60s, the opposition to Brezhnev’s stagnation, then the perestroika liberation of the 90s, the reform of the turn of the century and the creative activity of the modern period.
It is considered the official date for the opening of the Novokuznetsk Drama on November 6, 1933. The creation of the theater became a cultural component of the colossal industrialization plan for the Kuzbass and the construction of the giant Kuznetsk metallurgical combine. The newspaper “Siberian giant” noted that this was the first building in Siberia specially designed for the theater. The first performance on the stage – “Intervention” based on Lev Slavin’s play.
The theater under the direction of Lina Samborskaya, well-known in the country of the director and effective actress, from the first steps boldly declares itself. Until 1938 the theater bears the name of the influential politician of those years Robert Eiche, subsequently repressed. Since May 1938 and almost until the end of the XX century, the drama theater is called the name of the People’s Commissar of Heavy Industry Sergo Ordzhonikidze,
Epic Russia Culture & Adventure Route © Monika Newbound