National Museum of Natural Sciences
With various researchers in areas ranging from paleobiology and geology to ecology and climate change, as well as environmental biology and biodiversity, the Museum is one of the emblematic centres of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC). It is currently located at the Palace of the Arts and Industry.
The National Museum of Natural Sciences manages and exhibits a significant collection of specimens to the public, with the goal of promoting a more complete understanding of the diversity of the natural world. This knowledge is applied to the conservation of the environment and is transmitted to the community in order to improve the understanding of science and of our natural resources.
King Carlos III created the National Museum of Natural Sciences in 1771 as the Royal Cabinet of Natural History. Throughout history it has changed its name several times. The initial collection of the Royal Cabinet of Natural History consisted of the excellent collections and library owned by Pedro Franco Dávila, a Spanish businessman from Guayaquil who donated them to the Spanish Crown.
The collection contained thousands of minerals, algae, plants, animals of all kinds, stones, and bezoars of physiological origin, tools and arms from various cultures and ages, and artistic objects made of porcelain, crystal, and precious minerals from all continents, ancient bronze pieces, sculptures, medals and headstones, works by famous painters from various schools and countries, miniatures, drawings, watercolours, and enamels. As property of the Crown, the collection increased with purchases and donations until 1984, when it was totally restructured as a modern museum. Since then, its collections have been enhanced. With great historic and scientific value, the Museum is open to the public through permanent, temporary and travelling expositions.
The National Museum of Natural Sciences is one of the most important scientific research institutes in Spain in the field of natural sciences. With various researchers in areas ranging from paleobiology and geology to ecology and climate change, as well as environmental biology and biodiversity, the Museum is one of the emblematic centres of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC).
It is currently located at the Palace of the Arts and Industry. The building started to be developed in 1882, in the Altos del Hipódromo under the orders of the architect, Fernando de la Torriente, assisted by Emilio Boix y Merino, who continued the works upon the death of the former in 1886.