About the Marina

Marita and Paul Joseph Gast were passionate water sports enthusiasts, and so over 40 years ago, they made the decision to open their own harbor. In the former harbor basin on Weizenmühlenstraße, the first private yacht harbor on the Rhine was established in 1976. In 2000, a new floating facility made of 1.4 km of concrete docks was built and anchored in the current Media Harbor at Hochsee Dalben. At these steel pylons, anchored 10 meters deep in the harbor floor, the facility glides up and down autonomously depending on the water level.

The roots of the old merchant family Gast trace back to 1848 when Johann Josef Gast opened the first mercantile store near Aachen. In 1958, Paul Joseph Gast took over the family business and, along with colleagues, built the first self-service department store in 1970, covering an area of 3000 m². In 1974, he turned his hobby into a profession. After visits abroad in America, he was inspired by the idea of building a private marina – yacht harbor – in Düsseldorf. In the Düsseldorf industrial harbor on Weizenmühlenstraße, where today the Mercedes Sprinter loading station is located, he built a facility made of Mannesmann steel with 120 boat berths on his own. In 1980, Marina Düsseldorf entered into an exclusive distribution agreement with the Taiwan-based brand “Ocean Alexander” and presented the yachts at BOOT Düsseldorf for 30 years.

In 2000, he built a new patented pontoon system made of floating concrete on his own. In 2002, the 600-ton and floating harbor master’s office was built in-house. The 500 m² building is divided underwater into a workshop, showers, guest toilets, and social rooms. In the basement, there are event spaces and offices. The first floor houses private rooms.

building Own or work here? Claim Now! Claim Now!
image