Lighthouse of Alexandroupoli, Alexandroupoli, Greece
The Lighthouse of Alexandroupolis is the registered trademark, the naval symbol of the city, which when it was first inhabited, in the mid-19th century, it was exactly that; a maritime city with a brand new port, on the course of the ships that entered the Bosporus or the Mediterranean. The construction of a lighthouse was deemed necessary and it began around 1850, by the French Company of Ottoman Lighthouses.
The lighthouse of Alexandroupolis was inaugurated on 1 June 1880 and since then it operates without interruption. It has a height of 18 meters and if someone wishes to reach the lantern room, at the top, he needs to climb the 98 stairs with the six landings, as many as the windows that illuminate its interior. It is located west of the port and it was built on a cylindrical pedestal – its overall height from the surface of the sea is 27 meters.
Visit Greece. Epic Greece Adventure Route © Monika Newbound