Karlsruhe Palace, Karlsruhe, Germany
Karlsruhe Palace was erected in 1715 by Margrave Charles III William of Baden-Durlach, after a dispute with the citizens of his previous capital, Durlach. The city of Karlsruhe has since grown around it. The Karlsruhe Palace was built 1715-1718. For almost 200 years it served as a residence and government seat of the Marksgrafen, then the Elector and Grand Duke of Baden.
Its present Baroque appearance was the castle in the second half of the 18th century after conversions and extensions, which go back to plans of Balthasar Neumann and the architect Albrecht Friedrich von Kesslau, the former Planning Director at Baden Hof, and implemented by his successor Wilhelm Jeremias Müller Have been. Mueller has also connected the castle tower, which was originally free, to the central building, and furnished it with the characteristic dome.
Visit Germany. Epic German Adventure route © Monika Newbound