Kallithea Springs, Rodos, Greece
Known since antiquity for their therapeutic properties, the thermal Springs of Kallithea were utilized by the Italians, in the early 20th century. The initial premises were inaugurated on July 1st, 1929 and remained in operation until 1967, being very popular and attracting visitors from all over the world. The complex was designed by the architect Petrio Lombardy and the designs were considered among the best architectural compositions of that era.
The thermal springs of Kallithea in Rhodes, were well known since the Ancient Greece times for the beneficial properties of their waters springing up from the surrounding rocks. In August and September crowds of visitors were coming to the area and they were even setting up camps in the surrounding area, so as to be close to the spring.
Since the time of the Dorian Hexepolis 700b.c. and later during the times of the Knights of Saint John at 13th & 14th century the springs were attracting visitors from the surrounding islands, the Asian Coast, the middle east and even from the depths of the Orient being a meeting place of Orthodox Christians, Muslims and Jews.
Visit Greece. Epic Greece Adventure Route © Monika Newbound