Johannapark

In the park, there is a playground and a large pond with an island, bridges, and fountain. The Lutherkirche is located on Ferdinand-Lassalle-Straße at the intersection with Schreberstraße.

The fact that we can enjoy this beautiful park in the heart of Leipzig today is thanks to the Leipzig banker Wilhelm Seyfferth (1807-1881), who purchased some meadows on the western bank of the Pleiße in 1858. There, according to designs by Lenné, he had a park laid out in the English style. With his death in 1881, he bequeathed it to the city of Leipzig.

Seyfferth’s daughter Johanna had died early after an unhappy love affair. In memory of her, the Johannapark was to retain this name forever. As a legacy, Wilhelm Seyfferth stipulated that the park should never be built upon, nothing should be changed about Lenné’s creation, and that the connection to the meadows and forests of the Aue should be preserved for the public.

This was an extremely prudent urban planning decision for Leipzig. Even today, pedestrians and cyclists can “go green” from Leipzig’s city center in a southerly direction to the Connewitz forest and in a northerly direction past the Palmengarten to the Leutzsch forest and further into the nature reserves of the Burgaue.

Show all timings
  • Saturday24 hours open
  • Sunday24 hours open
  • Monday24 hours open
  • Tuesday24 hours open
  • Wednesday24 hours open
  • Thursday24 hours open
  • Friday24 hours open
building Own or work here? Claim Now! Claim Now!
image