Ittinger, Warth, Switzerland
Ittingen Charterhouse (Kartause Ittingen) is a former Carthusian monastery near Warth, Canton Thurgau, Switzerland. It is now used as an education and seminar centre with two museums and a farm.
The monastery was founded in 1150 for the Canons Regular. In 1461 the premises were sold to the Carthusians. In 1524, during the Reformation, the monastery was destroyed in the Ittingersturm, but was rebuilt during the Counter-Reformation. In 1798 the officials of the Helvetic Republic forbade the acceptance of novices and declared the monastery’s assets the property of the state. Nevertheless the charterhouse survived until 1848, when it was finally dissolved.
Between 1867 and 1977 the estate was the private property of the Fehr family, who ran the former monastery and its land as an agricultural concern for several generations. The entire monastery precinct remained for the most part intact. After 1977 the property was taken over by the charitable foundation Kartause Ittingen and between 1979 and 1983 comprehensively restored.
Visit Switzerland. Epic Switzerland Adventure Route © Monika Newbound