Hofkirche, Luzern, Switzerland
St. Leodegar was founded in the mid-8th century, part of the monastery which in turn founded Lucerne. A Gothic church preceded the existing German Renaissance building, but was largely destroyed by fire in 1633. Only the towers, St. Mary’s altar and a few religious objects remain in the existing 17th-century building.
St. Leodegar’s white stone interior is generously furnished with gilt statuary and altars. Ornate wooden pews comprise the south half of the sanctuary, while simpler wooden seats occupy the north, a reminder of an earlier time when wealthy and poor parishioners worshiped apart. Near the center of the sanctuary on a supporting pillar a plaque honors Ludwig Pfyffer von Altishofen. The rich 17th-century Swiss mercenary was instrumental in bringing a Jesuit contingent to Lucerne, thus introducing the Counter Reformation to Switzerland.
Visit Switzerland. Epic Switzerland Adventure Route © Monika Newbound