Heilig-Kreuz-Kirche

The Heilig-Kreuz-Kirche was built between 1927 and 1929 according to the plans of architect Josef Franke. It offered space for over 1,000 churchgoers. It was the centre of the Catholic community of Ückendorf for almost 100 years. After the church was decommissioned in 2007 as part of the reorganisation of parishes in the diocese of Essen, years followed in which the extraordinary ensemble of buildings became more of an insider tip for experts in the field of Brick Expressionism and New Objectivity.

The imposing building was threatened with gradual decay. This makes the city’s decision to buy the building and convert it into a highly prestigious event centre all the more courageous. With a grant of almost 10 million euros from the state of North Rhine-Westphalia from the “Strong neighbourhoods – strong people” funding programme, an event hall that is unparalleled in the Ruhr region has been created on Bochumer Straße since the corresponding council resolution in 2016.

No one can escape the overwhelming aura of this hall when entering the interior with its huge parabolic arches. And Gelsenkirchen needs a space like this, because after the old Hans-Sachs-Haus could not be restored and the former concert hall was no longer included in the new design, the city is now getting back a hall for up to 800 visitors with the Heilig-Kreuz-Kirche, in which high-calibre concert events as well as conferences and congresses or all formats of cabaret are possible.

Show all timings
  • Monday09:00 - 17:00
  • Tuesday09:00 - 17:00
  • Wednesday09:00 - 17:00
  • Thursday09:00 - 17:00
  • Friday09:00 - 17:00
building Own or work here? Claim Now! Claim Now!
image