Edirne Museum, Edirne Merkez, Edirne, Turkey
The first museum in Edirne was opened with the name Archaeology Museum in 1925 upon the order of Atatürk in Dar-ül Kurr’a Madrasa. It was constructed together with Selimiye Mosque in between 1569 – 1575 in the courtyard of Selimiye Mosque and it is the work of Mimar Sinan.
Since Edirne was the capital of the Ottoman State for 91 years, the palace had an impact on the folk art and enriched it in terms of ethnography, and therefore, there was a need to create a second museum. Thus, the second museum bearing the name of Ethnography Museum was opened in Madrasa in the courtyard of Selimiye Mosque and called Dar-ül Tedris on November 25th, 1936. The Ministry of National Education and General Directorate of Foundations have made monetary contributions to this museum and some valuable goods have been presented by the Ankara and İstanbul Museums.
Epic Turkey Culture & Adventure Route © Monika Newbound