Colegiata de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción, Osuna, Sevilla, Spain
The Colegiata de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción (Spanish for: Collegiate Church of Saint Mary of the Assumption is a Catholic temple built in the sixteenth century in the town of Osuna, in Andalusia, Spain. It was founded by Juan Téllez-Girón, 4th Count of Ureña. It was declarated Bien de Interés Cultural (Good of Cultural Interest) in 1931.
The interior has a nave and two aisles, five chapels and a presbytery. The interior of the church has a rich Renaissance decoration. It has a beautiful Baroque main altar, made throughout the eighteenth century, and the chapels on the sides are all very attractive. In the interior, the huge sacristy is now a museum that exhibits a magnificent collection with five paintings by José de Ribera (El Españoleto) and a carving by Juan de Mesa.
There is a Pantheon of the Dukes on a lower level that was built in Plateresque style in 1545 and contains a small chapel with an altarpiece attributed to Roque Balduque, a paint of Hernando de Esturmio, and the tombs of the Dukes of Osuna.Visit Spain. Epic Spain Route © Monika Newbound