Church of San Bartolome, Asilah, Taza-Al Hoceima-Taounate, Morocco
Built in 1925 by Spanish Franciscans in a typical Hispano-Moorish style, this is one of the few churches in Morocco allowed to ring the bells for Sunday Mass.
The church was built in the 18th century and restored in the 15th. The church has three naves, separated by polygonal pillars, in which the transept in particular stands out.The entire church is topped with ogive vaults. The sanctuary is Romanesque, formed by a central, semicircular apse with a barrel vault.
The majority of the construction along with the facade is Gothic.The facade is noted for its iconographs that describe the episodes of the life of San Bartolomé. The Mudejar tower with quadrangular floor plan outside is quite striking.Reconstructed in the 16th century.
Epic Morocco Culture & Adventure Route © Monika Newbound