Château Dufresne, Montréal, QC, Canada
The Château Dufresne (also known as the Dufresne House) is a historic building located in the borough Mercier–Hochelaga-Maisonneuve in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
It was the residence of Marius and Oscar Dufresne, two wealthy French Canadian entrepreneurs who played a major role in the history of the city of Maisonneuve. The Château Dufresne was originally divided into two separate households, one for each brother. In 1948, the Dufresne family sold the property to the Congregation of the Holy Cross who used it as a pavilion annex of the Holy Cross College. In 1957, the City of Montreal became the new owner of the estate. The Holy Cross College, however, remained tenant until 1961. The mansion then housed Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art from 1965 to 1968 and Montreal Museum of Decorative Arts from 1976 to 1997. Since 1999, the building houses the Château Dufresne Museum, renamed Dufresne-Nincheri Museum in 2014.Visit Canada. Epic Canada Route © Monika Newbound