Chapel Bridge, Luzern, Switzerland
Chapel Bridge is probably the oldest wooden bridge in Switzerland dating back to the middle of the 14th century (first written record in 1367). Perhaps even more important, only very few covered wooden bridges do have old paintings under their roofs. The most famous two are in Lucerne: Chapel Bridge and Spreuer Bridge.
Chapel Bridge and Water Tower mark the upper end of the medieval bridgehead city of Lucerne where the waters of Lake Lucerne flow into River Reuss. Originally Chapel Bridge and Water Tower were parts of the oldest medieval city ramparts of Lucerne. The northern bridgehead of Chapel Bridge once lead directly into St. Peter’s Chapel. Today, a riverside promenade separates the two.
Lucerne’s Water Tower also served as a dungeon, an archive and a treasury vault until the 19th century. Today a traditional association uses it as a club room. Therefore the tower is not open to the public and cannot be seen from the inside.
Visit Switzerland. Epic Switzerland Adventure Route © Monika Newbound