Cawood Castle was once the palace of the archbishops of York, in a village 10 miles south of the city. The palace’s heyday was the 14th and 15th centuries, when prelates were at their most powerful – cardinals of Rome as well as archbishops of England. One such was John Kempe, made archbishop in 1426 and later cardinal. He celebrated by building the fine gatehouse that is today maintained by the Landmark Trust (the gatehouse is all that survives of Cawood Castle). It even sports a cardinal’s hat in its stonework.
England Culture & Tourism Route © Monika Simon Newbound 2020