Castelgrande, Unesco Site, Bellinzona, Switzerland
The first human settlement on Castelgrande hill, attested during excavations from 1984-1985, dates back to the 5500/5000 BC. (Neolithic).
On this first settlement, in the fourth century. C. built the first fort established archaeologically (1967 excavations). Even many of the sixth century documents recall the existence of a fortified structure. In the fourteenth century, the castle is for the first time called Magnum Castrum, Castel Grande.
Today’s appearance is the result of recent restoration (1984-1991), directed by the architect Aurelio Galfetti . Finally, to remember the grandeur of the tower known as White (1250-1350), 27 meters high, and the elegance of the Dark Tower (1310), 28 meters high. The crenellated walls is divided into three areas; by one of them comes off the rail that goes down in town. At the time of the Visconti he came down to the Ticino River; built towards the end of the fourteenth century., it was enhanced by the Sforza between 1486 and il1489, and destroyed in part by “Buzza Biasca” in 1515.
From this castle, the view is beautiful. It can be reached by climbing steep paths, from the Collegiate Square, from Nosetto square and a comfortable road leaving from via Orico. From the Piazzetta Della Valle you can also go up to the castle with the lift.
Visit Switzerland. Epic Switzerland Adventure Route © Monika Newbound