Atomic Bomb Memorial Burial Mound
The Atomic Bomb Memorial Mound is a large, grass-covered knoll that contains the cremated ashes of 70,000 unidentified victims of the bomb. These were persons whose ashes were unclaimed because the entire family had perished or because they were persons of unknown identity.
This area near the hypocenter was strewn with corpses after the bombing. Countless corpses were brought here and cremated. In 1946, a temporary memorial mound, a temporary vault, and a chapel were built. In 1955, Hiroshima City took over the project and rebuilt the vault. Unclaimed ashes that had been kept in various other locations were also taken to the new vault. Since 1946, a memorial service has been held in front of the vault on August 6. Regular services are also held on the 6th of each month.