Army Museum of Western Australia
Museum in an artillery barracks with exhibits on Western Australia’s military since colonial times. The Army Museum of Western Australia was established in 1977 and was originally located in the nineteenth Century building “Dilhorn” situated in Bulwer Street, Perth, which had been in use by the Army since 1952. This heritage listed building was subsequently sold privately by Department of Defence in 2001.
The museum was relocated to the Artillery Barracks site in Burt Street, Fremantle, in 1995. This entire precinct has been heritage listed with several of the buildings having historical significance. The initial aim was to open a new gallery every year leading up to 2001, the year of the centenary of federation and the forming of the Australian Commonwealth Military Forces. Each gallery reflects the Army in Western Australia and Western Australians’ service within the army from the colonial period through to the present day.