Archaeological Museum and Theatre of Eretrias, Eretria, Greece
The Archaeological Museum of Eretria is a museum in Eretria, in the Euboea regional unit of Central Greece. The museum was established in 1960, but was enlarged between 1961 and 1962.
The Archaeological Museum of Eretria was built in 1960, while the current building is the result of enlargement and renovation that took place in 1989-1991 by the local Ephorate of Antiquities in collaboration with the Swiss School of Archaeology. The latter also funded the project.
The exhibits cover all the periods of antiquity and derive from the wider region. Among the most important are the finds from the protogeometric cemeteries of Lefkandi and Eretria and the sculptures from the temple of Apollo Daphnephoros.
Among the most important exhibits of the museum are:Clay alabastron of the late Mycenaean period (1200-1000 BC) from Lefkandi. It bears representation of griffins, roes and deers.
The “Kentaur of Lefkandi” (950-900 BC). The clay protogeometric figurine was discovered broken in two parts, each deposited in a different grave. It is the earliest representation of the mythical creature composed of part human and part horse.
Visit Greece. Epic Greece Adventure Route © Monika Newbound